One dilemma I’ve had for a while is a classic question, The Ship of Theseus. It goes something like this “how many planks repairing a ship does it take for the ship to no longer be the same ship?.” I’ve recently been thinking about this question in the context of people as they change over time. I’ve been asking myself the completely irrelevant question “If I ever experience memory loss, am I really me?” Or have I died and been replaced by someone else? I’ve been mulling this over for a while, and I guess there isn’t really any objective truth. It's more of an opinion based question. Right now I’m of the opinion that any substantial memory loss might as well be death, since the person after memory loss is so different than the one before. So many planks have been replaced that the ship is no longer itself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Assignment 26 - Grace Barnett
One suggestion that I have for future classes is that you should maybe spend more time practicing each essay that is on the exam. I know re...
-
In my entire life time I have only been out of the country once as far as i can remember. It was during a trip to Alaska where we had to sp...
-
This might be my least favorite assignment. I don't like going to see movies. I hate being stuck in the theater with the overwhelming ...
-
Over the past year I haven't read very many books but I have read Thrawn: Alliances by Thimothy Zahn and The Lathe of Heaven by Urs...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.